G’day Bookworms! I mentioned yesterday that I was nominated for THREE blog awards while I was on vacation. Super super exciting! These awards are designed to share the blog love and give deserving bloggers some exposure, so I’m beyond flattered and will devote today’s post to the award assignments.
Pocketful of Joules and Quirky Chrissy both nominated me for a Liebster Award!
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
4. Choose 11 people to award and send them a link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs.
11 Things about Me:
1. I am not an especially picky eater, but I despise beets and traditional cole slaw.
2. I keep the boom box I received for my birthday in 5th grade in my office and use it to listen to old fashioned radio.
3. I found my first gray hair when I was 22. I now have my hair dyed in a double process regularly and am unreasonably vain about it.
4. I’m not sure if I’m capable of having a dream that ISN’T an anxiety dream. Tornadoes, failing exams, and missing out on Summa Cum Laude by one grade point are regular occurances. I also dream fairly frequently that my high school diploma has been deemed invalid by new standards and I’m forced to go back and complete more hours of gym class. Attempts to tell administration that I have a bachelor’s degree fall on deaf ears.
5. I didn’t wear makeup regularly until I was 28. It wasn’t a political protest as a feminist… It was literally that I’m very lazy.
6. I danced growing up- ballet, tap, and jazz. I learned a lot about people and competition from that experience. It did not bring out the best in me. Now, when I go back to watch old videos I want to smack myself because I wasn’t even a GOOD dancer. Sigh. Learning is important.
7. People who are skinny without trying annoy me. Struggling with one’s weight is character building, right? (I say this as I fervently wish to be skinny without trying…)
8. I don’t trust people who don’t own televisions.
9. I LOVE Harry Potter. If I could have a super power, it would be the ability to apparate. Travel would be so easy! Also, I’d have been a Ravenclaw, and my patronus is a penguin. I have detailed reasoning behind all of these, so if you’re interested, just ask.
10. I’m not a big movie buff. I watch a lot of TV, but I lack the commitment to watch movies regularly. I’m all like “no I can’t make a two hour time investment to watch this movie” but then I watch a marathon of Yard Crashers and blow the theory.
11. While I’m perfectly fine with the idea that I need not like everyone on the planet, it REALLY bothers me knowing there are people out there who don’t like me.
My 11 Questions to Answer from Joules:
1. Who is on your man crush list?
My celebrity man crushes include, but are not limited to: Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg (I like nerds)
2. Why did you decide to start a blog?
I’m incredibly vain and sure the internet wanted to know what I was thinking? That, and I got asked for book recommendations pretty regularly, so I figured maybe like 5 people would read it.
3. Had you even heard of me or my blog before I awarded you the Liebster Award?
Of course, yo! Pocketful of Joules is awesomesauce!
4. What is the last commercial that you laughed at (post it if possible)?
Umm.. I like the commercial for Capital One where Jimmy Fallon does all these characters saying they want more cash back. He does one that’s this Boston fisherman and it reminds me of the sketch he and Ben Affleck did on SNL where they both broke character and laughed through the whole thing. Hilarious.
5. What do you do for your day job?
I work for a company that does consulting for radio and television stations. Mostly, I look at charts and crunch numbers in a program that only my company uses. There are office dogs here, which is very cool, but I’m still not sure how I ended up in a job working with numbers. I sometimes got B’s in math. Weird.
6. What is the rudest question that someone has asked you?
I get asked a lot when I’m going to have kids, and it annoys me. I’ll have them when I’m good and ready, thankyouverymuch. Most of my family and friends know this and are pretty cool, but occasionally new acquaintances will try to make conversation that way, and it irks me.
7. What is the best vacation that you’ve ever gone on?
Since I juuuuuuuuuust got back, I’ll go ahead and say my 10 day Disney trip is the best vacation ever! Woo hoo!
8. How did you meet your significant other (if you have one) in 2 sentences or less? If no sig, how did you meet your best friend?
I met Jim, my husband, in college- he was my lab monitor. I was his stalker.
9. What are you really, really good at?
Nothing really. I know that sounds self deprecating, but it’s not meant to. I’m fairly decent at a number of things, but I’m not like BRILLIANT at anything. And I’m down right awful at quite a few tasks (singing, drawing, video games, directions…)
10. What is your favorite online shopping website?
Amazon, obviously. It’s where I buy my kindle books.
11. I’m always looking for fun beauty products that make me feel pretty. What is the one beauty product you just cannot live without?
Having just explained how lazy I am with cosmetics, I feel ill equipped to answer this. I’m going to go with my exact eyelights cover girl mascara. It’s supposed to bring out the blue in my eyes, it doesn’t clump, and it’s waterproof, which is good because I’m a crier.
My Questions to Answer from Chrissy:
1. What is your favorite Dr. Seuss story?
Tough call, but I’m going to go with One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
2. If your life were a movie what genre would it be?
Dark comedy, a la Drop Dead Gorgeous. I was in a
beauty pageant SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM once. Paid for my first semester of books for college. I was only first runner-up though. Losing is ALSO character building, right?!
3. What is the worst state in the union? Why?
That’s kind if mean, don’t you think, Chrissy? I mean, it’s not North Dakota’s fault that it’s the lesser Dakota. (I don’t actually hate any of the states- apologies to any North Dakota folks!)
4. Describe, in three sentences or less, your high school experience.
I spent my weekends alone watching marathons of Real World, Road Rules, and Daria on MTV. I mean, I had friends and stuff, but yeah. I’m glad that’s over.
5. If you could sum yourself up in song lyrics, what song would it be?
This is a difficult question. I’m going to go with “Kate” by Ben Folds Five. Because you can seeee daisies in my footsteps, and my mix tapes ARE masterpieces. Oh yeah. And my name is Katie, which is practically Kate, so it was written about me.
6. If you could travel through time and space, where and when would you go?
Time travel is a seriously risky business. I’d probably be burned as a witch if I went back anywhere, and people smelled really bad before deodorant. BUT. I think I’d be interested in biblical times because I think it would be fascinating to watch that unfold. Then I could come back to the here and now and say “Actually, I asked Jesus for clarification on that one and he said…” I also have a fascination with the middle ages, but I’d break the universe by trying to sneak penicillin in my space travel carry-on bag and cure the bubonic plague…
7. What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had?
I’ve had some fun ones. I was a penguin, the Cat in the Hat, the Bee Girl from the Blind Melon video, and Raggedy Ann. Those have to be among my favorites.
8. What are your top 3 vices?
Junk food, gossip, bad reality television
9. How much time do you spend on the interwebs?
More than I care to admit
10. If you could give yourself any title/rank/leader of any country/object/or whatever you want, what would it be? (Ex: I am the Empress of the Internet)
I hope this is an empty title, because I don’t want any more responsibility. Queen of Penguin Enthusiasts of the Universe. I want a tiara AND scepter. A sash too, if it’s not too much trouble.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve?
A lot of things annoy me, but I don’t think I have any one specific pet peeve. I hate when people don’t use turn signals. Can that count?
I was also nominated for the Sunshine Award by Liam at The Life of A Thinker.
The conditions of this award are to answer the eight questions below, and nominate 10 other awesome bloggers.
1. What is your favourite Christmas/festive movie?
A Muppet Christmas Carol. Rizzo the Rat MAKES that movie. “And I am here for the food.” A rat after my own heart.
2. What is your favourite flower?
(I love that this was written with British spelling!) This is difficult for me to answer because I love flowers so much, but I guess I’ll say daisies. They’re such a happy flower, and this IS the sunshine award, after all.
3. What is your favourite non – alcoholic beverage?
Unsweetened iced tea is what I drink most often, but if I get my wish to be skinny without trying, it’ll be all chocolate milkshakes all the time.
4. What is your passion?
I don’t suppose it will come as a surprise to anyone when I shout, BOOKS!!!!!!
5. What is your favourite time of year?
Fall, for sure is my favorite season. I love the way everything smells and pumpkin baked goods and hot cider with cinnamon. It’s such a cozy time. That said, I also LOVE the lead up to Christmas. I love decorating, wrapping, shopping, and eating all the delicious treats!
6. What is your favourite time of day?
Any time but morning? I am horrible at getting out of bed.
7. What is your favourite physical activity?
Do you mean like working out? I wouldn’t say I necessarily enjoy it, but I tolerate zumba and pilates fairly well.
8. What is your favourite vacation?
I just got back from Disney World, so I’d feel traitorous if I said anything else.
Whew! That was something. I am still new at this so it’s going to be tough for me to nominate a ton of bloggers. I’m going to go ahead an nominate 11 people for all of the above awards. I’m really quite lazy. So congratulations my bloggy nominees, you win… THRICE!!! Here are some blogs I love!
1. Filing Jointly Finally
4. Books, J’adore
6. It’s A Dome Life
7. What Jane Read Next
8. In Natalie’s Shoes
9. There & Back
10. Sorry Kid, Your Mom Doesn’t Play Well With Others
Congratulations all you nominees! You just won the Liebster award from me… Twice. And the Sunshine award! Wahoo!
Here are MY chain letter-esque questions for YOU:
1. What is your favorite holiday, and why?
2. If you could have a super power, what would it be?
3. What’s your favorite genre of book?
4. You know you have guilty pleasure TV shows. Spill it!
5. What is your day job?
6. What is your ideal vacation destination?
7. Do you think you would survive a Zombie Apocalypse?
8. What is your favorite type of take-out food?
9. Name one thing you keep in your underwear drawer that isn’t underwear.
10. If you could meet any celebrity, who would you choose?
11. What is the greatest animal on the planet? (The correct answer is penguin, but I am interested in everyone’s various shades of wrong-ness.)
Whew. Did you read this all? Yay awards! Yay everyone! It took me three days to finish this beast!