Salutations, my little Bookworms!
I skipped Top Ten Tuesday yesterday because as much as I love The Broke and the Bookish, the Glue Crew is where my loyalties lie. However, I didn’t want to miss an opportunity to talk about being thankful as tomorrow is THANKSGIVING and all. I’ve been reading a lot of these and they’re all really sweet. However. I wrote last week about loving my husband, and I’ve written recently about my little cousin, so you know I dig my family ties. I thought I’d take a slightly different and kind of materialistic approach and talk about some of the things I’m thankful for living in the here and now. Ready?
2. Central Heating and Cooling: It gets cold in Illinois. It gets hot in Illinois. I am able to pretend seasons don’t exist when I’m in my house thanks to central heating and cooling. I like to avoid both hypothermia and heatstroke, thankyouverymuch.
3. Internet Access: Without the INTERNET, I wouldn’t have this blog. Without this blog, I would be sad. Three cheers for LOLCats, animated gifs, and BOOK BLOGS!
4. Indoor Plumbing: I had some traumatic incidents in my youth with girl scout camp, latrines, and bladder control. They were just so ICKY, y’all. Flushing toilets and running water are privileges, people!
5. Microwaves: Dude. I love my microwave. I am not a fan of cooking, and reheating food should be FAST because I’m HANGRY. I love, you microwave.
6. Cars: As much as I wish I could apparate Harry Potter style, I’ve got some serious appreciation for motor vehicles. Do you have any idea how long it would take to make the 150 mile trek to my parents’ house in a covered wagon? Me neither, but I’m pretty sure it would suck.
7. The Printing Press: Hey Gutenberg! I’m your biggest fan! The dude who invented the printing press deserves mad props. Mass production of books?! Can you even imagine living before you could have books whenever you wanted them? Monks would have to copy them, and even though their handwriting was very, very fancy, it was hard to read… And expensive… And you would probably have been too busy farming turnips to notice.
8. My Kindle: I know there are some purists out there who hate the e-book, but I refuse to believe it’s the death knell of the publishing industry. I’ve purchased a LOT more books to keep on my kindle than I did with physical books. The storage space I save makes my heart happy. Plus, my Paperwhite has a glow light background so I can read in bed without keeping the Hubs awake. Love it!
9. Pants: I like a dress as much as the next girl, but I really like the fact that I can wear pants whenever I darn well please. I know there are some hardcore religions that don’t get down with ladies wearing pants, and while I respect that, I’m glad it’s not me. Like I said. Pants rule. (Oh, ladies. If you’re stuck in a pantsless religion and you really want some pants? Give me a call. I’ll hook you up. PANTS!)
10. YOU. I know, I know. I said I wasn’t going to get mushy, but it’s true. I’m so thankful for my little contingent of readers and the blogging community that has embraced me (book blogging and just regular ole’ blogging) my little heart could burst. Thank you for being the very best EVER!
Now what I really need is your HONEST opinion, Bookworms. Who wore it best? Me, or my neighbor Simon? Happy Thanksgiving!